RESET Treatment for TMJ
immediate results, holistic, gentle.
RESET is a non-invasive system of sending healing energy to the body through the TMJ joint and the muscles of the jaw by incorporating specific hand placements and healing movements around the face and neck.
Your RESET Session:
Your 90-minute, fully clothed session will include gentle healing touch to your head, shoulders and back. This treatment is designed to rebalance, correct and reset the TMJ plus release tension and emotions which have been stored in the body. This is generally performed with you lying down for deeper relaxation, but can also be applied while seated. Throughout this profound scientific process of healing touch, you may experience waves of deep relaxation as your jaw relaxes and realigns.
Some specific BENEFITS from receiving a RESET session:
- less tension in 80% of the muscles in the body
- ability to open & close jaw with more ease and alignment
- reduction or elimination of pain and noise when chewing
- fewer headaches, sinus problems and migraines
- more stability in hip, knee and foot muscles
- improved digestion
- balanced glands and hormones
- calmer nervous system/emotions
- increase in flow and balance of meridians
- clearer mind/enhanced focus
- improved learning ability
- improved assimilation and utilization of water/increased hydration
What is the TMJ?
TMJ are located on both sides of the face in front of the ears, connecting the jawbone to the skull. They’re the most complicated joints in the human body which allows us to open our mouths wide and move our jaws from left to right. The area surrounding and including the TMJ is made up of large powerful muscles, the largest cranial nerve called the Trigeminal nerve, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels and has multitude of sensory distribution and interconnections which are controlled by the body’s local and central nervous system.
Over 80% of the electrical messages from the brain to the muscles and back to the brain are affected by the TMJ. Even a fractional imbalance of the jaw muscles may cause confused electrical messages to the other muscles.
TMJ IMBALANCE ~ Possible Symptoms:
- Bruxism/grind or clinch teeth
- Malocclusion/misalignment of teeth
- Tinnitus/ringing or muffled sound perception
- Osgood Schlatters disease
- jaw clicking and pain when chewing
- inability to fully open or close mouth
- swallowing difficulties
- headaches and migraines
- blurred vision or eye pain
- ear pain or pressure
- jaw, face, neck or shoulder pain
- knee, ankle or hip pain
- digestive disorders
- bladder problems
- bed wetting
- uterine prolapse
- hiatal hernia
- ileocecal valve problems
- learning difficulties
Causes of TMJ Imbalance:
When we are stressed or have certain perceptions which constrict us, we tend to hold the tension in our muscles and in particularly our jaw. We hold approximately 70% of all our tension in our jaw and face. When we hold tension, emotions and mental stress in these area, symptoms start to present themselves, such as:
- Accident or blow
- Poor dental occlusions
- Stress and other psychological factors
- Constant clenching or teeth grinding
Energetic View of the Jaw:
The jaw and face also have a number of meridians/acupuncture energy lines which also run through this area. Meridians are pathways which carry qi or life force through the body which in turn nourishes the associated organs. Using energy healing techniques with these meridians assists in the energy flow to these areas of the body. The meridians mapped around the jaw and face are the Stomach, Small Intestine, Triple Heater, Gall bladder and Large Intestine.
Symptoms of imbalances in these meridians are:
- Stomach – worry, anxiety, insecurity, poor digestion, dissatisfied, increased or lack of appetite, nausea, ulcers.
- Small intestine – lack of joy, mental confusion, over thinking, critical and cynical, unable to sort out pure from impure or healthy from unhealthy, frozen shoulder, stiff neck, hearing difficulties, mouth abscesses, pain in lower abdomen.
- Triple Heater – sluggish metabolism, irregular temperature, hot or cold flashes.
- Gallbladder – frustration, anger, resentment, jealousy, indecision, unexpressed anger, bitterness, pain on right side of the trunk, migraines, difficulty digesting fatty foods, stiffness in neck and shoulders.
- Large intestine – inability of letting go of past hurt, pessimism, grief, weakness and vulnerability, inflexible, poor memory, constipation or diarrhea, body and foot odor, skin problems, diverticulitis.
Energetically the jaw and face are also connected to the fifth or throat chakra. This area governs our expression and communication with the world. The throat chakra is situated directly between our head and our heart which assists in balancing and using both the intellect and intuition in harmony throughout life. This chakra represents the challenges of surrendering our own willpower to Divine will. This brings into play issues of control over situations and events. Balancing this chakra assists in strengthening our will and our ability to release and surrender to the Universe’s Divine force.
Rebecca Heartfly is a Certified TMJ RESET Specialist, Certified Theta Healing® Practitioner, Certified Reiki Therapist, Cranial Sacral Therapist, Certified Core Transformation Therapist, Certified Yoga & Pilates Instructor & Certified Infant Massage Teacher. She’s also spent years studying dance & movement, and enjoyed studies in Psychoneurology & Blissology